Saturday, May 12, 2012

Tales of an Oversized Shirt

 So my Great-grandmother lives down south, (and when I say that I do not mean Florida, I mean two hours away,) and my Mema periodically goes down and visits her, seeing that Great-grandma Maggie is going to be 98 this year.

And Mema likes to bring us home some of Grandma Maggie's discarded clothes from time to time. They are usually quite old and normally do not fit. I really don't understand how Mema always brings us home clothes which are size 12 or 14, becuase Grandma Maggie is the size of a toothpick and probably wears small of everything. (And we don't wear 12 or 14s. Hmm.) That question aside, she brought us a bag a few weeks ago.

I picked through it, always on the lookout for good fabric that can be re-cut into something else. My search was rewarded with an over-sized, off-white shirt of some kind that I gladly took home. And last Saturday I decided to be one of those cool people on the internet who takes a potato sack and makes it into a prom dress, and then post a seemingly easy tutorial on how to do it.

Well, this isn't a potato sack, and I didn't make it into a prom dress. But I did have fun.


Observe the shirt. Yes. Awkward. So I took out my scissors and promptly cut off the turtle neck aspect. Then I cut off about three full inches on each side and sewed it in. Then I wondered what to do next.

Ah ha! Ruffles! The answer to every problem. Using the excess fabric from the sides, I cut out four rows of ruffles and sewed them to the front of the shirt. Then I gathered in the neck, because it was huge and I was not going with the cowl-neck look, and stitched it down.


Happy day in my bedroom. Very, very happy day. And the wonderful part is that I actually like it! Now go take an old tee shirt, some scissors, a bit of thread, and get to work. If you ruin it then you didn't waste any money, and if you love it, then you have one new shirt in your wardrobe that cost you nothing!

Some good tee-shirt tutorials: (since mine isn't really a tutorial)
Ruffles and Stuff
Vertical Ruffles

0 comments:

Post a Comment