Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Quoted: Keep Calm



This is honestly a motto which I have followed in life. It's amazing how far a fake British accent can take you sometimes. Try reading Ozymandias with a British accent.
The poem will never be the same.

Who else loves the "keep calm" signs? I didn't even know what they were until the royal wedding last April. (Which, yes, I did get up and watch on TV. The best part was the Westminster Boys Choir singing This is the Day.)
Now these signs enchant me am I am saving every cute one I find. The original is the best, though:



A bit of history:
These signs were issued by the British government in 1939 at the start of WWII, intended to raise British public morale in the event of invasion. For some reason, it didn't really catch on, and only a limited number were printed.
They were rediscovered in 2000, and have now been parodied to no end. As I said, they were pretty popular during the royal wedding.

Some others:






This is for everyone who grew up reading Sherlock Holmes. I actually had my own "Speckled Band" experience this morning, (which was the first Sherlock mystery I ever read.) Except, it was not a snake coming out of the bedroom vent, but a very large spider coming out of the bathroom vent.
My worst fears were realized.

And I thought big spiders only lived out west.





Or, in the event that passing things at the table with the force doesn't work, wave your hand across someone's face and tell him that these aren't the Droids he's looking for.


This is quite possibly the best way to stay calm. I spend my days singing anything and everything, and it usually takes a very irritated family member who is wishing peace and quiet to get me to stop.
As Christina Rossetti said, "My heart is like a singing bird."


There. I just gave you eight very good reasons to keep calm, so we should all be calm for at least a little while, now.

And do not be surprised if more of these signs come up on my blog from time to time. We all need ridiculous reasons for why we should not be so stressed out.
Or at least I do.


0 comments:

Post a Comment