Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Her Majesty the Queen



It is no surprise to those who know me that I love to write letters. I find it a calming pursuit that is much needed in the present culture where handwriting is quickly going down-hill. There is just a lovelier aspect in seeing something handwritten as opposed to seeing something typed and printed.

Last month a friend put the idea in my head of writing to the Queen of England, and the more I thought about it, the more this idea appealed to me. So I pulled out my best paper, carved a seal, (which you can see half of in the above photo,) and started writing. I expressed to the Queen how much I admired her. I congratulated her on her Diamond Jubilee. I told her that it is one of my dreams to visit England. Hours after hard thought and practice letters, and taking great pride in my work, I addressed it.

Her Majesty The Queen
Buckingham Palace
London SW1A 1AA

The day before sending it off. Forgive the dirty mirror.


Last week I headed off to 5 days at camp, figuring that if I did happen to get a reply to my letter, I was months away from receiving it. Once again, my dreams came true. Arriving home tired and sunburned, this is what I found on my bed stand:

(I edited my address from off the envelope.)


It is a pamphlet with beautiful pictures of the Queen and a note saying, "I send you my grateful thanks for the words of support which you have so kindly sent on the occasion of the Sixtieth Anniversary of my Accession to the Throne."
 Yes, she regarded me as fan mail. (Which I suppose I am.) But the important part is: I got a letter from England!

So this month, and possibly next month, have turned out alright.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should try that!!!!!! I would love to have a letter from the Queen. :-)

Also, you have once again convicted me of my negligence in letter writing. I must admit that I find emails so much easier...but it is not as personal and meaningful.

Myra said...

It is really fun to think that you're writing to someone who has been queen for 50 years. You should try it when you have the time! As much as I enjoy letter writing, it is true that emails are faster and have their place. (-:

Post a Comment